Cannot boot YDL from SCSI (3)

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Feb 19 12:19:00 2004

(Apologies, I've posted to newbie, then again to newbie, then to
general.)

Hi.  I am attempting to install YDL 3.0.1 on a dual-CPU G4.  I
had installed a previous version with no trouble.

The difference is that the former version was installed onto an
IDE drive and this version is being installed onto a SCSI drive.

Currently, OS9 and Panther are installed on the Apple-supplied
30 GB IDE drive.  It's set to Master.  I have also installed an
80 GB drive (for fast backups), set to Slave.  The SCSI disk
accepts the installation (and it had been in use in an AMD box
with MS XP on it, so I'm confident it works).  The only
out-of-the-ordinary activity was that I partitioned the drive
with Disk Druid for many separate partitions (I want to avoid
dealing with /tmp and /var getting out of control).

I have earlier this week installed Fedora on said AMD box, so I
am comfortable with how the Druid seems to work.  The only real
difference between the two at this stage was that one needs to
declare a 1MB Apple boot partition in the Apple environment.

The symptoms were that, after the install and reboot, the screen
stayed gray.  I have earlier noted that trying to special-boot
via a KVM does not work, but I attached the Apple keyboard.
Using cmd-opt-shift-del allowed me to boot into OS9.  I can go
back and forth between OS9 and Panther, but the YDL install does
not show up on the OS9 or Panther desktops.

Interestingly, Panther recognized the MS XP partitions before I
installed YDL, so SCSI drivers are clearly in place in Panther.
There is no such recognition of the YDL partitions.  However,
re-installing shows that Druid can read the partition table, and
my many partitions seem to have been recorded.  Panther does
complain about a "disk inserted" that is not recognized, and I
then click the "Ignore" button.

I have tried the OF sequence to list the boot choices, but aside
from a pretty blue background, 2 icons, and a spinning clock
cursor, nothing happens.  I gave it 10 minutes to figure stuff
out before I rebooted.

I have read the "Companion to Installing", and, although there
are a number of scenarios for disk configurations, I see nothing
to give me help about this.

I looked through some documents on Open Firmware at Apple
Support, hoping there was an easy way to tell the box to change
the order in which the drives are read for booting.  However,
the OF seems very complex, and I did nit find an answer.  I'm
not afraid of complexity if it's justified, but being a perfect
perl programmer (i.e.  lazy), I thought I'd ask before looking
for answers down deep in the guts of the OF.

installed YDL 3.0.1.  It seems as if I need to change to boot
disk order, but I don't see how.

Solutions or other explanations of my problem are welcomed ...
cheers, drl