Opening ports 25 and 80 on Yellow Dog 3

Norberto Quintanar yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Feb 20 08:08:01 2004

--- Jeff Galloway <jeff@rundog.com> wrote:
> For the life of me, I can't seem to open ports 25 or 80 after
> installing Yellow Dog 3.  I have mail and web servers set up on
> older
> Powermac machines 7200 and 7600, using old versions of Yellow Dog
> linux, but now that I've installed YD3 on my PM 7500, I can't seem
> open these ports.  According to IPTables, they should be open, but
> they're not.  What am I missing?
>
> Thanks in advance.

A firewall could be your problem. This firewall would be running
locally on your machine, or your ISP is blocking certain ports. I
know that my ISP was blocking 21, 25, 80 and other ones. So what I
had to do, is go into inetd.conf or the appropriate configuration
file and bind the program to a different port. You would have to make
the appropriate changes in httpd.conf. I changed my FTP port to 24
and my HTTP port to 81. Or you could punch a wall in your firewall by
doing the following this:

#iptables -I INPUT 1 -p tcp --dport 80 -j ACCEPT
#iptables-save > /etc/sysconfig/iptables

Check your ip number:
#/sbin/ifconfig

repeat for port 25

Good luck, and hope this helps.