mplayer and xine

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Feb 22 20:31:01 2004

Mr. Barr:

Brian Barr <barr AT coastal DOT ufl DOT edu> wrote:
> I highly recommend installing their apt packages
> which can be found here:

<http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/yellowdog/3.0/apt/>

I second that. Now that I have followed your
directions and installed both apt-get and synaptic, I
owe you *two* beers. I would have thought that apt-get
was the best application installer ever invented --
until I installed synaptic.

I went a little crazy with synaptic, installing all
sorts of things. My favorite, right now, is the
BlackBox window manager. Low profile, smooth, and
using almost no resources. (Too bad BlackBox, like too
many Linux apps, has almost no usable documentation.)

Now I know not one but *four* methods to install
applications on Yellow Dog Linux:

[1] yum install
[2] rpm -Uvh
[3] apt-get install