mplayer and xine

Matthias Saou yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Feb 23 04:35:03 2004

Thierry de Coulon wrote :

> Is there anything to change after you install apt (change the mirror, for
> example)? "apt-get install mplayer" returns a no package found, even after
> apt-get update.

If you want to use my packages available on freshrpms.net, you need to either
upgrade the original YDL apt/yum package to my own versions (pre-configured)
or edit your config files to have the "freshrpms" entry as you can find at
the bottom of the http://ayo.freshrpms.net/ page.

Typically, for apt's sources.list :

# Yellow Dog Linux 3.0
rpm http://ayo.freshrpms.net yellowdog/3.0/ppc freshrpms

And for yum's yum.conf :

[freshrpms]
name=Yellow Dog Linux $releasever - $basearch - freshrpms
baseurl=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/yellowdog/$releasever/$basearch/freshrpms

> My other problem (for both mplayer and xine) is that they don't appear to cope
> with the drivers for graphic card and sound card on my 12" powerbook
> "aluminium".

Try to change the video output method used. For instance, with mplayer, try
"-vo xv" and if it doesn't work, "-vo x11".

And a quick reminder to say that my ppc packages aren't unfortunately as
extensively used and tested as my i386 ones, but problem reports and
suggestions are always welcome to me directly, on the freshrpms-list or
eventually here if it's ppc-specific and could be interesting to others.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 1 (Yarrow) - Linux kernel 2.6.2-1.81
Load : 0.04 0.09 0.08