Unable to Start Gnome after 3.0.1 yum updates

Abre Chase yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Feb 23 12:18:01 2004

I recently upgraded my Pismo G3 laptop from YDL 2.3 to 3.0.1 (clean
re-install).  3.0.1 was running smoothly, so I decided to run yum and
get it up to date.

After applying the updates and rebooting the system, I am unable to run
gnome.

I login via text-based and run the startx command to launch X/Gnome.

I get a few errors like "There was an error starting the GNOME Settings
Daemon....The Settings Daemon restarted too many times."  "Nautilus
can't be used now, due to an unexpected error from Bonobo when
attempting to register the file manager view server".

The the dump says:

(EE) FBDEV(0): FBIOPAN_DISPLAY: Invalid argument
SESSION_MANAGER=3Dlocal/localhost.localdomain:tmp/.ICE-unix-890
** (gnome-panel:1000): WARNING **: Failed to send buffer
Gnome-Message: gnome_execute_async_with_env_fds: returning -1
Gdk-ERROR **: X connection to 0:0 broken (explicit kill or server
shutdown).

Does anyone have any advice on this?

Thanks in advance.

- Abre Chase