KDE 3.2 on YDL

Greg Hamilton yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Feb 24 15:41:02 2004

> Built fine on my TiBook with 3.0.1. Yes I used konstruct, dead easy
> actually, just took a long time.
>
> No tips there.
>
> I am having trouble getting it to go now though. Can't work out where
> the appropriate places to upgrade environment variables are, so until
> I can do that I can only run it in a one off sort of mode...runlevel
> 3, then set it all through a script I have set up...
>
> Anyone else have ideas where the KDEDIR, QTDIR etc is set at login and
> can be modified. Does not appear to be in ~/.bash_login or ~/.profile
> or /etc/profile or even ~/.bashrc (though it shouldn't be there
> anyway).

YDL uses gdm to manage graphical logins. If you click on the Session
button before you log in you're presented with a list of desktop
environments and window managers and the like. I have Gnome, KDE,
Window Maker and a few simple window managers to choose from.

In /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions you'll find a script for each session type.
These scripts just call a shell script called /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession and
pass in the requested session. This in turn calls the appropriate
Xclients script in /usr/share/apps/switchdesk. For example
/usr/share/apps/switchdesk/Xclients.kde runs startkde

So my guess is that if you add a new gdm session named 'kde3.2', edit
the Xsession script to recognise the new session type and create an
Xclients.kde3.2 script which knows how to start your Konstruct build of
KDE then next time you log in through gdm you should be able to select
KDE3.2 as your default session