read only file system

mascarasnake yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Feb 25 10:41:01 2004

--Apple-Mail-1-639725499

If you're running the 2.4.22-2g kernel, you should be able to mount
hfs+ with r/w access. In my experience, by no means meant to be an
across the board statement, hfs support has been kinda quirky. (writing
to hfs volumes kept damaging the disk, beyond disk first aid's ability
to repair - other folks seem to have no problems).

have you tried mounting it manually as root?

sudo mount -w -t hfsplus /dev/hda9 /mnt/hfs

     "It's what you make it, man
     Takes time.
     A little bit
     A little bit more"

             The Minutemen

     dontdrill@earthlink.net
On Feb 25, 2004, at 10:32 AM, Henry Olders wrote:

> On Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004, at 21:18 Canada/Eastern, mascarasnake wrote:
>
>> try
>>
>> /dev/sdb6		/macos9	hfsplus	auto,user,rw        0 0
>>
>> This should auto-mount the drive, enable user mount/umount and give
>> read/write capabilities.
>
> Thank you for the suggestion. I changed fstab, unmounted and remounted
> the drive, this is what the mount command shows:
>
> /dev/sdb6 on /macos9 type hfsplus (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
>
> but when I attempt to make any changes to any files or directories, I
> still get:
>
> [root@mac7200 macos9]# touch HenryWebSite
> touch: setting times of `HenryWebSite': Read-only file system
>
> I thought maybe the permissions, but I can't modify those either; it
> just comes back with "read-only file system".
>
> Is it possible that hfs+ files are only supported as read-only by YDL?
>
> Henry

--Apple-Mail-1-639725499

If you're running the 2.4.22-2g kernel, you should be able to mount
hfs+ with r/w access. In my experience, by no means meant to be an
across the board statement, hfs support has been kinda quirky.
(writing to hfs volumes kept damaging the disk, beyond disk first
aid's ability to repair - other folks seem to have no problems).

have you tried mounting it manually as root?

hfsplus /dev/hda9 /mnt/hfs

</x-tad-bigger></fontfamily>

    "It's what you make it, man

    Takes time.

    A little bit

    A little bit more"

            The Minutemen

    dontdrill@earthlink.net

/dev/sdb6		/macos9	hfsplus	auto,user,rw        0 0

This should auto-mount the drive, enable user mount/umount and give
read/write capabilities.

</excerpt>