Firewire on B+W G3 Rev1

Tim Seufert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Feb 26 17:46:01 2004

On Feb 26, 2004, at 7:48 AM, Henry A. Leinhos wrote:

> At this point, the ieee1394, pcilynx, raw1394, and sbp2 modules all
> load fine, but the dv1394 and video1394 modules fail (depend on
> ohci1394).  I think I need the video1394 module to export video to
> firewire (in kino, at least).  Can anyone help me on this?

You're probably going to have to get an OHCI PCI firewire card.  As
you've discovered, the B&W G3 uses a PCILynx controller.  In the early
days of Firewire, there was a bit of evolution in how host controllers
interacted with the OS and applications.  The result was the OHCI spec.
  Unfortunately, PCILynx predated all that, and has a different
controller architecture than OHCI.  This means that it takes extra work
to get some kinds of software to work with PCILynx controllers, and
that work hasn't always been done for Linux.  As you've found here,
dv1394 and video1394 simply assume you have an OHCI controller.

Even under MacOS / MacOS X, where the 1394 driver stacks apparently
provide a more complete abstraction model to hide whether the
controller is OHCI or something else, PCILynx doesn't always work quite
right.

So, in a lot of cases, people just end up buying an OHCI controller.
Look for ones with a TI chipset if you can.  (PCILynx isn't bad because
TI made it, it's actually rather good for a 1394 controller of its era.
  In my experience TI's OHCI chips are quite good.)