5 newbie questions... ;) (KPPP, MOL, KDE, GAIM, YDL 4?)

Ray Auge yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Feb 28 23:25:02 2004

On Sat, 2004-02-28 at 00:03, Terry Richards wrote:
> Jason Kibbe wrote:
>
> >I appreciate any advice or assistance!  I'm new to Linux in general, and
> >this is the second time that I've tried YDL on my ibook.  I was less
> >successful with 2.3 and hope to be more successful with 3.1 or 4.0 or
> >whatever comes out next (or even just 3.0!)!!!
> >

> 3.01 is out
> :-) ^2

ie, if you do 'yum upgrade' it will upgrade your install to YDL 3.0.1
which will fix a great many things, including installing a new kernel,
etc...

What you should od to fix the whole yum timeout issue is to switch to a
mirror server (check the YD website).

run this command to do just that.

#] su -c "kwrite /etc/yum.conf"
password:

enter the root password and a text editor will come up. Simply change
the path of the main source to that of the new mirror you found online.

now do that:

#] yum upgrade

Then go to http://ayo.freshrpms.net/ and dwnld the new version of yum
for YDL 3.0. You'll have to install those RPMs by hand. Simple go to the
download dir and do:

#] su -c "rpm <packages>"
password:

same as before.

now do this:

#] yum update

now you can:

#] yum install gaim

that will give you gaim 0.76 which has AIM, MSN, etc., etc....

you can even install mplayer, ogle, and many many more cool packages.

Good luck,