somewhat OT: sendmail

Christopher Murtagh yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Feb 29 09:11:01 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-25 at 21:08, peter wrote:
> i'm running my YDL machine on my home LAN. i want to set up my machine
> so that i can send mail from the command line (/bin/mail) or another
> program such as mutt. i don't care about incoming mail. actually, i'd
> prefer to not allow that. i've had problems with sendmail in the past
> (i.e. i got hacked one via a shoddy sendmail configuration), so i'd
> prefer to use something simpler and less prone to be screwed up by my
> ignorance.

 A couple of years ago I was in the same boat as you, only I had to
setup/configure/run mail servers that could accept mail. Not knowing
much about MTAs, and how to configure them, I was horrified at how much
of a PITA sendmail is to configure and secure. Any time there was
something to change or fix, it took me hours of Google searching and
fiddling, often with my SMTP down. No fun!

 About a year ago, I switched to Postfix, and what a relief that was.
The config is *way* easier to setup, and most of it is sendmail
compatible right out of the box. There should be postfix RPMs for YDL on
the YDL CDs, so installing should be a breeze.

Cheers,

Chris