somewhat OT: sendmail

peter yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Feb 25 19:04:01 2004

i'm running my YDL machine on my home LAN. i want to set up my machine
so that i can send mail from the command line (/bin/mail) or another
program such as mutt. i don't care about incoming mail. actually, i'd
prefer to not allow that. i've had problems with sendmail in the past
(i.e. i got hacked one via a shoddy sendmail configuration), so i'd
prefer to use something simpler and less prone to be screwed up by my
ignorance.

i've found sSMTP as one option, though if i can get something that
doesn't rely on an external SMTP relay without getting too complex,
that'd be preferable.

what packages should i be considering for this?

thanks,
peter