power mangement (sleep) for G5, possible?

Michael Torrie yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jan 1 15:50:02 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-01 at 13:36, jaspal kallar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if anybody that has a powermac G5 has
> managed to put the G5 into sleep ?
>
> On the YDL website it doesn't mention anything about this. I imagine it may be a bit to soon to ask such questions
> since YDL for G5 is beta but I'll ask anyway ;-)
>
> Since I'm soon ordering a single G4 or G5 I was wondering if the choice of graphics card (nvidia or ati) would
> help/hinder power management functions i,e
> sleep/wake up?

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I can answer this for you.
However, it seems to me that the power management functions (sleep,
suspend) are a function of the OpenFirmware, not the graphics card
itself.  Either one of them should be just fine, provided YDL has pmu
support for the G5, which I doubt.  The PMU isn't even supported on my
powerbook 12" G4 1gHz yet (no sleep or suspend, or anything other than
battery reading).  I've been led to understand that there is some
significant work to be done to make this work.  (Something about
emulating the open firmware).

That said, why would you want to sleep your G5?  Just leave it on all
the time and turn your monitor off.  The only thing I could ever see
wanting to sleep or suspend is a laptop.  The amount of electricity used
is negligible and I have lost hard drives due to the
suspending/starting/suspending/starting cycles.