Powerbook 3400 linux

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jan 7 05:35:01 2004

Derek:

derek AT dhmarkley DOT com wrote:
> So far I have tried YDL 3.0 and Gentoo 1.4 and
> have failed horribly. YDL would freeze while
> retrieving packages,
> [...]
> System Specs:
> --------------
> Powerbook 3400
> 180 Mhz
> 48 mb ram
> striped down OS 8.0
> (This is the reason I want linux)
> 6x cd-rom
> zip drive
> 1.3Gb HD

Well, this is part of your problem: the specifications
you show for your PowerBook 3400 are *well* below the
minimum requirements for Yellow Dog Linux, especially
in terms of hard drive space and RAM:

<http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/products/faq/drive_space.shtml>

You probably want at least a 3 GB hard drive and 64 MB
of RAM (128 MB would be better) to consider installing
YDL on any Macintosh.

If all you want to do is surf the Internet, retrieve
e-mail, etc., you should consider purchasing more RAM,
then installing Macintosh OS 9.1. Mac OS 9.1 would run
quite well on your 3400, is stable, and supports a
wide range of Web browsers, e-mail clients, word
processors, and the like.

If, on the other hand, you want to experiment with
Linux from a beginner's perspective, you might
consider purchasing a cheap Intel PC (I know --
sacrilege!) on which to install one of the many fine
Intel-based Linux distributions (Mandrake is pretty
good, though there are many others).

If, on the third hand, you have time and money to
kill, have an interest in opening up your 3400 to
upgrade it, and want the challenge of installing and
running YDL on a PowerPC-based computer, buy and
install a larger hard drive and more RAM in your
PowerBook 3400, and have fun! This mailing list will
offer you plenty of help and support.

Best wishes,
Clint

--
Dr. Clinton C. MacDonald | <mailto:clint DOT macdonald
AT sbcglobal DOT net>