Powerbook 3400 linux

Longman, Bill yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Jan 9 11:25:02 2004

> derek AT dhmarkley DOT com wrote:
> > So far I have tried YDL 3.0 and Gentoo 1.4 and
> > have failed horribly. YDL would freeze while
> > retrieving packages,
> > [...]
> > System Specs:
> > --------------
> > Powerbook 3400
> > 180 Mhz
> > 48 mb ram
> > striped down OS 8.0
> > (This is the reason I want linux)
> > 6x cd-rom
> > zip drive
> > 1.3Gb HD

Clinton and Geoff's advice is good, Derek. I found I was able to get my Mac
partition all the way down to 100MB and I still have lots of room left over
on that. You could probably get by with 80MB. The rest of my drive, like
yours, is used for YDL.

Make no mistake about it -- the PB runs MacOS best. YDL is fine if you are
willing (in that small footprint of memory and disk) to go only with a
really slim window manager (I use Blackbox when I surf and WindowMaker
otherwise) and one browser.

Most of the time, though, the little guy just crunches Arecibo radio
data....