PowerMac G4 17" and YDL 3.0.1 and 3. 0 problems update

Devaney Michael yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jan 13 09:31:02 2004

Hi again all and Jeroen :)

Okay the saga continues - Ive since installed the 2.5-26devel-ben kernel and
got the latest snapshop of xfree86 and things are getting better.

Upon booting I no longer get the flickering console - sweet.  I found I
could get rid of this in the original kernel using the kernel boot option
"video=ofonly" but this caused X to stop working! typical.

Anyway with the new kernel, and the updated version of X, X starts but goes
crazy - the display is going more nuts than it ever was before.  Worse than
that, X just waits at the little clock mouse pointer and does nothing.  When
I try to goto a console the screen stays blank.

I tried the latest version of X with the older kernel and things look a bit
better.  The console is flickering at boot time, but when X starts i get the
same clock mouse pointer and nothing else happens - but the screen is solid!
no flickers or crazyness - its almost there.  Also when I flick back to the
console - it too has stopped flickering.

Now Im wondering if I have all the right configs and kernel settings, or
have i just got a poorly configured X?  Having never upgraded X before, have
I done something stupid and over-written my old settings.

Jeroen - would it be possible for you to send me any kernel parameters you
use, and your XF86Config file?  You seem to have a good handle on how all
this works.  Or if anyone else has one I could see you'd make me very happy!

Cheers,
  Mike.

For those other than the recipient any disclosure, copying, distribution,
or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on such information
is prohibited and may be unlawful.

Emails and other electronic communication with QinetiQ may be monitored.
Calls to QinetiQ may be recorded for quality control,
regulatory and monitoring purposes.