PowerMac G4 17" and YDL 3.0.1 and 3.0 problems update

Jeroen Zwartepoorte yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Jan 17 04:02:02 2004

--=-YbaARzEmVMwQwzN06xVY

Hi Mike,

On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 15:49, Devaney Michael wrote:
> Hi again all and Jeroen :)
>
> Okay the saga continues - Ive since installed the 2.5-26devel-ben kernel and
> got the latest snapshop of xfree86 and things are getting better.

Where did you build the kernel from? benh's rsync repository is at 2.6.1
(maybe even 2.6.2 now, since 2.6.1 got released).

> Upon booting I no longer get the flickering console - sweet.  I found I
> could get rid of this in the original kernel using the kernel boot option
> "video=ofonly" but this caused X to stop working! typical.
>
> Anyway with the new kernel, and the updated version of X, X starts but goes
> crazy - the display is going more nuts than it ever was before.  Worse than
> that, X just waits at the little clock mouse pointer and does nothing.  When
> I try to goto a console the screen stays blank.

I've built XFree86 4.4 rc2 fine on ppc. It works great with the ATI card
(no DRI though). Which version of X are you using? The RPMS Dan made
don't work. You need to build X from source:
ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/develsnaps/XFree86-4.3.99.902.tar.bz2

I've attached my XFree86 config.

> I tried the latest version of X with the older kernel and things look a bit
> better.  The console is flickering at boot time, but when X starts i get the
> same clock mouse pointer and nothing else happens - but the screen is solid!
> no flickers or crazyness - its almost there.  Also when I flick back to the
> console - it too has stopped flickering.
>
> Now Im wondering if I have all the right configs and kernel settings, or
> have i just got a poorly configured X?  Having never upgraded X before, have
> I done something stupid and over-written my old settings.
>
> Jeroen - would it be possible for you to send me any kernel parameters you
> use, and your XF86Config file?  You seem to have a good handle on how all
> this works.  Or if anyone else has one I could see you'd make me very happy!

I use the default config from benh. Nothing customized.

HTH,

Jeroen

--=-YbaARzEmVMwQwzN06xVY

# File generated by Xautoconfig.
Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier	"XFree86 Configured"
	Screen		0  "Screen0" 0 0
	InputDevice	"Mouse0" "CorePointer"
	InputDevice	"Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Files"
# RgbPath is the location of the RGB database.  Note, this is the name of the
# file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db").  There is normally
# no need to change the default.

# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
# By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
# the X server to render fonts.

       RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
       FontPath     "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "Module"
	Load	"dbe"
	Load	"extmod"
	Load	"fbdevhw"
	Load	"glx"
	Load	"record"
	Load	"freetype"
	Load	"type1"
	Load	"dri"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Keyboard0"
	Driver		"keyboard"
# Change "XkbModel" to "macintosh_old" if you are using
# the deprecated adb keycodes.
	Option		"XkbRules"	"xfree86"
	Option		"XkbModel"	"macintosh"
	Option		"XkbLayout"	"us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Mouse0"
	Driver   	"mouse"
	Option   	"ZAxisMapping"	"4 5"
	Option   	"Protocol"	"IMPS/2"
	Option		"Device"	"/dev/input/mice"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"Monitor0"
	UseModes	"Modes0"
	ModelName	"Monitor Model"
	Option		"DPMS"
	HorizSync	30-130
	VertRefresh	50-160
EndSection

Section "Modes"
	Identifier	"Modes0"

	# Generated
	# D: 96.219 MHz, H: 54.670 kHz, V: 59.945 Hz
	Modeline "1440x900" 96.219 1440 1504 1536 1760  900 903 906 912  -HSync -VSync
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Card0"
	### Available Driver options are:-