FW: PowerMac G4 17" and YDL 3.0.1 and 3.0 pr oblems

Thierry de Coulon yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jan 13 10:27:02 2004

On Tuesday 13 January 2004 15:04, Michael L Torrie wrote:
> Does your PB 12" allow you to dim the screen in linux?  Mine doesn't.
> I'm sure that will work eventually too (it's a PMU support issue).

Nope. It did work on my iBook, so it definitely is related to the 5200. AND it
is only a question of specs as it DOES work with OS X...

> As for the GeForce 5200, well, that doesn't even allow sleep on intel
> laptops.  Hopefully NVIDIA will someday release the specs to allow us to
> wake up the chip properly.  I can't imagine why the chip boot seqence
> would be a trade secret.  Seems kind of daft to me.

Whats more, the 5200 is anything but Nvidia's flaggship! I could understand
that they protect a cutting edge card, but AFAIK the 5200 is an entry level
card...

The only hope would be that notebook makers would not buy such crippled stuff
- but I doubt they care enough for their users. After all, as most notebooks
are "old" a few month after it has been sold....

> Michael

Regards, Thierry

--
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not
sure about the former" - Albert Einstein