Firewire enclosure doesn't work in 3.0.1 [kinda solved]

Michael George yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jan 15 05:34:01 2004

On Jan 14, 2004, at 8:52 PM, Gavin Hemphill wrote:
> Well I'm running YDL (bootable) on three enclosures based on the
> Oxford chip set (some with the firmware updated to work with Panther)
> so its unlikely to be the chip set.  you fail to mention your kernel
> version, the hardware you're running on, the enclosure type etc. so I
> can't offer specific help, but if you search for the firewire howto on
> the yellowdog site you can probably figure out what you need.

Oops, I did forget that stuff.  Sorry.  It's good to know that it's not
a chipset problem, though.

I solved the issue, but I'm still not sure what you think...

I used my firewire cable from my DVD+-RW drive.  I still got the error,
but that didn't seem to be the show-stopper.  When I plugged the
enclosure in with that cable I got the size error, but the system
recognized the device and loaded the sbp2 kernel module on its own.  A
rescan of the scsi bus saw the drive and I'm off & runnin'.

This happened when I used the Glyph enclosure, too.  But that enclosure
was older, so I suspected a defective cable.  Now I'm wondering if it's
not that the Glyph's cable was bad, but that my own cable is so good.

So, now my question is "How much variation is there in Firewire
cables?"  IOW, are the ones that don't work cheap cables but the one
that works is a better quality one?  Or is there something more subtle
going on?