YDL on Pismo..

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Jan 18 07:15:02 2004

Mr. (Ms?) Bondster:

bondtrails <bondtrails AT earthlink DOT net> wrote:
> now that I bought a brand spankin' new Powerbook
> G4,

Congratulations!

> I need to do something with my old--but very
> trusty--Pismo.

There are many who believe the Pismo was the apex of
Apple PowerBooks. You can, for instance, run Mac OS X
10.3 passably well on it.

> I have looked at Linux and think I want to give
> YDL a shot. Does the current version of YDL run
> on Pismo?

Yes, Yellow Dog Linux should run quite well on the
Pismo -- also known as the "PowerBook G3 (Firewire)."
And, good choice on looking at YDL as an alternative
operating system!

> And is there support for video acceleration (8
> meg ATI), support for Airport, video out, PCMCIA
> cards, sleep function, modem, and DVD/CDR-W?

The answer to each of these questions is "Yes," based
on the following Web page (about two-thirds down):

<http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/hardware/breakdown/index.php?hw_cat_id=4>

The Yellow Dog Linux Web site has a great search
feature (powered by Google) built into each page (look
at the top). As questions occur, you might try hunting
there for a quick answer.

When you are ready to install YDL on your Pismo, be
sure to read carefully:

<http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/installation/>

and download, read, and follow these instructions:

<http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/installation/ydl3.0_guide-single.pdf>

Most people who have problems installing YDL have
neglected to read these pages.

> Also, does anyone know if YDL will work on my
> Pismo if I upgrade the cpu from the stock 500Mhz
> G3 to a 900 Mhz G3? (or 550Mhz G4?)

Probably yes, though YDL will work well on the
unaccelerated Pismo at 500 MHz. One reason folks
choose Yellow Dog Linux (or any Linux distribution) is
to breathe new life into older hardware (if I were
going to upgrade the processor on a Pismo, I would be
tempted to stay with Mac OS X).

Good luck!

Best wishes,
Clint

--
Dr. Clinton C. MacDonald | <mailto:clint DOT macdonald
AT sbcglobal DOT net>