Warning Re: MandrakePPC 9.1 (OT)

Harvey Ussery yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Jan 19 16:32:01 2004

Katsu Tanda wrote:

>Speaking of Debian and Gentoo, which did you find to
>be better? I am thinking of installing one of those on
>an x86 machine and possibly some older macs to
>hopfully extract every last bit of performance out of
>them.

Katsu,     I didn't do enough with either Debian or Gentoo to be able to
give you a useful recommendation. As said, I didn't get X up & running
on either, so I was working exclusively at the console for configuration
tasks, troubleshooting, exploring documentation--stuff like that--and I
don't know how much diff between 2 distro's you would notice when doing
that kind of stuff. But when I get serious about really getting into a
new distro again (after the Mandrake experience I'm a bit "gun shy"!), I
will probably try Debian first. Documentation seems more extensive,
complete, and easy to use.

Good luck.    --Harvey