Powerbook G4 17" and YDL fixed!

Devaney Michael yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jan 20 07:24:00 2004

Hi again,
  You'll all be glad to know that my powerbook G4 17 is now finally up and
running with yellow dog.  Many thanks to Jeroen for your help and for the
config file - it works perfectly (well almost - just need the sound now!
:P).

The winning combination for the powerbook G4 17 inch with the ati mobility
9600 is

Kernel: 2.6.1-ben1 (get this from the rsync repo as per jeroens post - )
XFree86: 4.3.99.902 (this is a snapshot from www.xfree86.org)

Where I went wrong:
1) At frist I tried kernels from www.kernel.org - these dont have everying I
need yet.
2) I didnt know about the pmac_config.  I was trying to build my own kernel
configs. :( very sily.
3) I was using 'make install' on XFree86 instead of just changing the
xfree86 executable and the sym-link to the drivers directory

Ive learned alot about yellow dog linux over these few weeks, its been
annoying at times but now Im very happy. :)

And again, thanks!

Regards,
 Mike

Useful links -
Getting and building 2.6.1 kernel
http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-general/2004-January
/011225.html

PS I wasnt joking about the sound.  Do I need to do anything special to get
the sound working? :D  My modprobe gives me errors 'QM_MODULES: Function not
implemented' :(

For those other than the recipient any disclosure, copying, distribution,
or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on such information
is prohibited and may be unlawful.

Emails and other electronic communication with QinetiQ may be monitored.
Calls to QinetiQ may be recorded for quality control,
regulatory and monitoring purposes.