need help installing on a MAC G3 Blue&White

Norberto Quintanar yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jan 20 07:49:01 2004

Try re-reading these posts

http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-general/2004-January/011393.html
http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-general/2004-January/011394.html
Then try reading the installation manual at:

http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/installation/ydl3.0_guide-single.pdf

Good luck!

--- Loerop & De Ruijter <zmlrdr@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Still got problems installing yellowdog linux on Blue & White 300
> mhz mac G3
>
> My system has a 6G harddisk, ATI 120 videocard and 64 mb internal
> memory.
>
> First of all i have reset the factorysettings:
>
> reset-nvram
> set-default
> reset-all
>
> printenv and indeed factorysettings.
>
> I've then taken the following steps:
>
> 1) booted without harddisk, gives the (by now familiar) message
>
> pci@80000000/pci-bridge@d/mac-io@5/ata-3@20000/disk@0:2,yaboot.conf
> Unknown or corrupt filesystem
> Can't open configfile
> Welcome to yaboot version 1.3.10
> Enter help for some basic usage information
> boot:_
>

> 2) booted without keyboard and mouse, same problem.
> 3) booted without cd player, same problem.
>
> Then attached my LiteOn burner to the mac in stead of the cdplayer.
>
> After command: dir hd
> result: Initlabel-package failed
> can't OPEN the DIR device
>

> After command: dir hda
> result: can't open the DIR device
>
> After command: dir cd (of dir cd:,\\)
> result: DISK-LABEL : read of block0 failed
> can't open de DIR device
> ok
> boot:_
>

> Booting in different configurations did not help me. The last two
> command
> and systemresponse do not make sense at least
> not to me.... Please tell me what they mean and what i can do to
> read my
> installation cd.
>
> My harddrive has 1 partition lin ext2. Created with partitionmagic
> 7. Could
> the disk having only 1 partition be a problem?
>

> Please have a look at http://www.xs4all.nl/~zmlrdr/ some
> screenshots...
>

> Thanx for any comments!

=====
--Norberto Quintanar

"You belong to something bigger. From birth. And your life is spent rediscovering the underlying principles, through various players -- coaches, mentors, teachers, spouses, kids. It's in your genes. Your responsibility. Destiny. Is all on you.  Lead, follow, or get out of the way."
--Norberto Quintanar