Opinions on AppleCare warranty for an iBook

Greg Hamilton yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jan 20 15:35:02 2004

Did you upgrade the HD yourself? If so you probably voided the original
warranty and any extended warranty AppleCare would offer.

Aside from that, yes it's probably worthwhile. I've read about numerous
complaints of premature battery failure, loss of display caused by the
screen hinge crimping the wires which connect to the LCD and logic
board failure in iBooks.

I've personally been bitten by the first two problems. The iBook was
just out of warranty when the original battery died. Not long after
that the HD died. Then one of the LCD wires broke leaving me with no
display. The cost of the new battery and HD probably exceeded the cost
of AppleCare and I imagine it would have been pretty expensive to pay a
professional to swap the HD and repair the LCD wiring.