Opinions on AppleCare warranty for an iBook

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jan 20 13:16:01 2004

Mr. Hall:

Ben Hall <bhall-www AT linuxgruven DOT ca> wrote:
> I have an iBook 700 that is about to run out of
> the standard warranty, I'm considering buying
> the AppleCare extended warranty, but it's
> $300CDN and the laptop was only $1500 new...

Did you purchase the iBook with a major credit card?
Some will extend your warranty to two years at no
charge. Look into that, first.

Otherwise, it's a tough call. I did not extend the
warranty on my PowerBook, and am a little sorry, since
the wrist rest is getting a little flaky. However,
iBooks have a reputation for sturdiness. If I rarely
used the iBook under harsh conditions, and intended to
upgrade in fewer than two more years, I might be
inclined not to purchase the upgrade.

A few months ago, Charles Moore (a fellow Canadian)
faced the same problem as you:

<http://www.macopinion.com/columns/roadwarrior/03/09/15/>

Good luck!

Best wishes,
Clint
--
Dr. Clinton C. MacDonald | <mailto:clint DOT macdonald
AT sbcglobal DOT net>