OT-ADB to PC or USB converter KVM switch

Tim Seufert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jan 21 15:32:01 2004

On Jan 21, 2004, at 2:06 PM, Norberto Quintanar wrote:

> Can anyone recommed a KVM switch that does ADB to PS2 or USB, so that
> I can have my PC/Mac/Linux boxes all share the same keyboard, monitor
> and mouse?  Does such a beast even exist?  Or is it wishful thinking?

Without knowing more it's hard to give specific advice.  What direction
do you want the conversion to be?  I.e., are your input devices USB,
PS/2, or ADB?  What ports do you have on your Mac(s), USB or ADB?

There is at least one USB to ADB converter, the Griffin iMate.  It only
works in one direction: it lets a USB host computer see ADB mice and
keyboards as if they were USB HID compliant mice and keyboards.  (It
can also be used for any ADB device if you install a driver -- but if
you only want to use mouse and keyboard it needs no special driver.)
If you need one of these, paypal me some money to cover shipping and
I'll drop it in the mail -- I have one that I'm never going to need
again.  (Fair warning: there was some occasional flakiness when I used
it, and from what I could find out at the time it wasn't because mine
was broken, it was universal, bugs in the thing's firmware I guess.)

Besides that, I'm fairly sure that I've seen older KVM switches which
allowed ADB Macs to use PS/2 devices connected to the KVM.