OT-ADB to PC or USB converter KVM switch

Norberto Quintanar yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jan 21 15:39:01 2004

--- Tim Seufert <tas@mindspring.com> wrote:
> On Jan 21, 2004, at 2:06 PM, Norberto Quintanar wrote:
>
> > Can anyone recommed a KVM switch that does ADB to PS2 or USB, so
> that
> > I can have my PC/Mac/Linux boxes all share the same keyboard,
> monitor
> > and mouse?  Does such a beast even exist?  Or is it wishful
> thinking?
>
> Without knowing more it's hard to give specific advice.  What
> direction
> do you want the conversion to be?  I.e., are your input devices
> USB,
> PS/2, or ADB?  What ports do you have on your Mac(s), USB or ADB?
>
> There is at least one USB to ADB converter, the Griffin iMate.  It
> only
> works in one direction: it lets a USB host computer see ADB mice
> and
> keyboards as if they were USB HID compliant mice and keyboards.
> (It
> can also be used for any ADB device if you install a driver -- but
> if
> you only want to use mouse and keyboard it needs no special
> driver.)
> If you need one of these, paypal me some money to cover shipping
> and
> I'll drop it in the mail -- I have one that I'm never going to need
>
> again.  (Fair warning: there was some occasional flakiness when I
> used
> it, and from what I could find out at the time it wasn't because
> mine
> was broken, it was universal, bugs in the thing's firmware I
> guess.)
>
> Besides that, I'm fairly sure that I've seen older KVM switches
> which
> allowed ADB Macs to use PS/2 devices connected to the KVM.

I have a 6500/250 mac - running YDL -  that uses ADB, a PC - running
Win XP -  that uses PS2, and a linux box - running smoothwall -  that
uses PS2.  I want to have all three sitting on a shelf in a closet
somewhere and just have my Monitor, Keyboard, and mouse on my desk.
I guess ADB to PS2 alone would be okay.  But all the really pretty
keyboards/ mice are USB.

Am I gonna have to invent it?