need netatalk help: getting printer spooling workings

Michael Baer yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Jan 23 15:47:01 2004

    Ken> I'd appreciate any pointers or help in getting netatalk
    Ken> printer spooling working.  My configurations is as
    Ken> follows...

    Ken> Apple G3 running netatalk (and samba), can see the machine
    Ken> from the macs and can successfully add the appleshare
    Ken> volumes.

    Ken> I have several HP postscript printers on the network (which
    Ken> I've added to the yellowdog linux box, as HP jetdirect
    Ken> printers and can print to successfully), I've also
    Ken> indicated that these printer should be shared (using the
    Ken> printer setup tool in yellowdog)

    Ken> What should I add to my papd.conf file to make these
    Ken> printers visible to the Macs?

I can tell you what works for me. It has been awhile since I set it
up, but looking at, I believe the setup is simple enough that with
minor changes it should work for you as well.  The printer I'm using
is an HP fax thing (non-postscript) but because it's through linux,
it behaves as a postscript printer as far as the Mac is concerned.

netatalk.conf:
PAPD_RUN=yes

and papd.conf:
fax:\
        :pr=|/usr/bin/lpr -Pfax:\
        :op="nobody":

'fax' is the name of the lpr printer papd is fronting ('-Pfax'
above) and also the name it shows up on through appletalk as well
('fax:' above).  The '\''s above are important as otherwise the
papd.conf entry should all be on one line.  [I have a vague memory
of putting the entire entry on one line without the '\''s and for
some reason it did not work that way, which makes no sense to me.  I
think I just punted at the point and went with what was working
though.]

I use the LaserWriter8 driver on the Mac (OS 9.2) side to access the
printer via appletalk.

    Ken> Does atalk and/or papd log it's errors anywhere?

I don't know, but I'd guess syslog, try /var/log/messages.

--
ydl@mikesoffice.com