Installing Fluxbox using GDM sessions (was) Windows Manager

Norberto Quintanar yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Jan 24 14:07:00 2004

Okay, I am doing this from Fluxbox and it's sweet.  Lightweight and
fast.

So it's here for posterity I am listing it in order.

Downloaded fluxbox-0.1.14.tar.gz

ran this command
$ tar xzvf fluxbox0-1.14.tar.gz --enable-kde <-- add to enable KDE

Supposedly it'll slit by default to gnome so you don't have to add
that.
$ ./configure
$ make

After Fluxbox is compiled become root and

$ make install

***********Where it went wrong****************

The instructions call for making .xinitrc and/ or .xsessions
I don't know where I went wrong, but it wouldn't work.

*********Where it all fell together***********

So I decided to add Fluxbox to the gdm sessions folder to see if that
would work

cd /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/

using your favorite editor create a file Called Fluxbox.  You must
chmod it with u=rwx,g=rx,o=rx. Once you do this, edit the file and
add these lines:

#!/bin/bash

 exec /usr/local/bin/fluxbox  <--- This is the default install
according to the instructions.  BUT if it's not at a terminal type

whereis fluxbox

and substitute the output

save all your work and reboot

login using gdm and at the bottom click Sessions Fluxbox should be an
option click on it enter password, etc.....

You will be prompted for a default WM, your option And if everything
is where it should be you should be gold Ponyboy

Good Luck!!
Norberto Quintanar -- http://www.geocities.com/nquintanar

--- Halvor <halvorb@mac.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I "indipendently of this thread" installed fluxbox this week and
> got the
> same error. Fixed it by:
>
> In home folder
>
> $ pico .Xclients-defaults
>
> (don't forget that dot as this is an invisible file)
>
> There changed to
>
> excex /usr/bin/startfluxbox
>
> (From gnome-session (or whatewer))
>
> Installed fluxbox from cvs as an attempt on learning that stuff,
> but the
> result should , I assume, be the same as from any other way.
>
> Halvor
>

> on 24-01-04 14:46, Norberto Quintanar at nquintanar@yahoo.com
> wrote:
>
> > Okay I've installed Fluxbox to the best of my knowledge.  Then
> just
> > to make sure I have the latest and greatest I typed
> >
> > yum update fluxbox
> >
> > then I type switchdesk, fluxbox is an option
> > But I get the below!  Argh!!!!  Fluxbox not installed!!!
> >
> > WTF!  Can anyone point me in the right direction, this is turning
> > into a major headache.......
> >
> > ----copied from my terminal session------------------------------
> > [root@localhost root]# yum update fluxbox
> > Gathering package information from servers
> > Getting headers from: Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 base
> > Getting headers from: Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 updates
> > Finding updated packages
> > Downloading needed headers
> > fluxbox is installed and the latest version.
> > [root@localhost root]# switchdesk
> > Red Hat Linux switchdesk 3.9
> > Copyright (C) 1999-2001 Red Hat, Inc
> > Redistributable under the terms of the GNU General Public License
> > ERROR: Fluxbox not installed!

=====
--Norberto Quintanar

"You belong to something bigger. From birth. And your life is spent rediscovering the underlying principles, through various players -- coaches, mentors, teachers, spouses, kids. It's in your genes. Your responsibility. Destiny. Is all on you.  Lead, follow, or get out of the way."
--Norberto Quintanar