G3 boot

mascarasnake yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Jan 30 00:41:01 2004

bruce woller wrote:

> mascarasnake:
>
> I have ydl3 running fine on a G3 B&W 450 - used the anaconda installer
> - worked for me.  It is also possible to use Bootx on a G3 if you have
> an early version of the B&W (mine has the yosemite board) with old
> firmware.   Follow the directions for old world install. <== You'll
> need Mac os 8.6 or greater to do that.
>
> Give us some specifics of what ain't workin - maybe someone can help.
>
> Regards,
> Bruce

 From the CMD chip, I'm saying it's a Rev2 with OF 3.1.1 and I was
running into the problem listed here:

http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/hardware/breakdown/index.php?hw_cat_id=7

"unknown or corrupt filesystem"

After backing up some stuff on my old mac, I started making some
hardware replacements on the BW G3. Yanked the Apple CD ROM and replaced
it with my TEAC CD-W54E CD-RW - jumpered  as master. The same little
demon that tells me that it's ok to knock off early and go grab a beer
told me to try the YDL install again. Bingo Bango, text install came up
sweet as you please. I thought I would pass that along.

Thanks to all who have tossed out help and hints. I may be needing more
as I install on the morrow.

--
	"It's what you make it, man
	Takes time.