turn ibook with ydl 3.01 into wireless accesspoint/router

Longman, Bill yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jan 28 18:02:01 2004

> Oh, OK, the setup as access point is done using iwconfig.  I guess
> then that you can have either an ad-hoc WLAN (`iwconfig mode ad-hoc
> ...' on all the hosts) where there is no access point, or a managed
> WLAN (`iwconfig mode master ...'  on the access point and `iwconfig
> mode managed ...' on the rest of the machines).  See the manual of
> iwconfig for the gory details.

In my experience, there have been few cards able to run in ad-hoc mode.
(I've used Orinoco, DLink and Cisco 340 and 350 cards.) You might have to
make sure the cards can do it. Otherwise, you'll have to run them managed
and give them all the same ESSID.