yaboot boots os x, not linux, b&w g3

Jeffrey Bruton yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jun 30 23:17:01 2004

I repartitioned before installing ydl a second time, so as far as I
could tell via the clues (checkmarks) in the graphical installer,
yaboot was installed to the main hd, and / and swap to the second
drive. since yaboot works for os x as it should but fails while trying
to boot, it does not know the correct device path to /, wouldn't that
be correct?

I found some yaboot documentation on penguinppc.org, there it states OF
commands as follows

name          device type
-------           ---------------
hd                internal ide drive (primary controller, master disk)
ultra1          internal ide drive (primary controller, slave disk)
ide0            ide drive (secondary controller, master disk)
ide1            ide drive (secondary controller, slave disk)
cd                cdrom
zip               zip drive
fw                firewire interface
fd                 floppy drive
enet            ethernet interface

the drive with root is on the secondary controller, and jumpered as
master, or ide0

I have tried many variations at the boot prompt where I am left after
yaboot prints the error message, I will to go through them again and
document what variations on a path-to-kernel I have tried.

I know I was unsuccessful with the following entered at the boot prompt:

ide0:2,/vmlinux root=/dev/hdb2