yaboot boots os x, not linux, b&w g3

Olaf Olson yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jul 1 00:25:01 2004

Sorry about my earlier post. I was half asleep and missed the key point
to your message, about having re-partitioned your drive. Are you *sure*
you want to boot to vmlinux? Perhaps you should look at the FAQ on OF
booting, at the YDL FAQ site:

http://www.sharplabs.com:8668/space/Installing+YDL/BootX%2C+Yaboot+and+the+OF

Mascarasnake did an excellent job writing this one up and there's a LOT
of good stuff in here, but maybe you want to pay special attention to
the syntax towards the bottom of the first screen. It looks something
like this:

===================================
Snipped from the FAQ

*Don't Panic*, revisited
Just because you told your drunken frat boy to chase after that
transvestite and quit making intelligent choices, doesn't mean you can't
sober him up. If you've changed your startup disk from the Mac side
*and* you put your Apple_Bootstrap partition before all of your other OS
partitions, there is a simple way to get your yaboot back. Reset your
NVRAM (Zap the PRAM). While starting up, hold down the
[option]+[command]+[P]+[R] buttons until your box chimes three times.
This /should/ make the bootstrap partition, once again, the first
partition the OF sees.

    * /Thanks to Olaf Olson for pointing out this bit:/

Note that I said resetting the NVRAM /should/ fix things so the
bootstrap is the first partition the OF sees. Since we do not live in an
ideal world, this is not always the case. If you find that you are still
unable to boot into Linux, there are still a few things you can do to
get back on track.

Armed with the Apple_Bootstrap partition number (pdisk will get this
info for you) you will need to boot into the OF like you did at the
beginning of this article. Once you are booted into the OF, simply enter
this command:

boot hd:x,\\:tbxi

and then enter (replacing "x" in that command with /your/
Apple_Bootstrap partition number).
Once you are back in YDL, you will need to rerun ybin to permanently
reset the OF to recognize the bootstrap as the first partition.

This really is a simplified overview of how /NewWorld/ and /OldWorld/
Macs behave and about the roles of OF, yaboot and BootX. To find more
detailed info and help, check out this stuff:

End of the Snip

Note that the slashes lean to the left. hd is the alias for all of the
string of stuff that makes up the definition for the boot drive. You may
not have to type ide0, just, in your case:

boot hd:2,\\:tbxi

printalias will give you the definitions for hd and stuff.

Olaf