yaboot boots os x, not linux, b&w g3

mascarasnake yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jul 1 14:27:03 2004

hey Jeffrey, scroll on down.

Jeffrey Bruton wrote:
> I can and did get yaboot to work via the OF command "boot hd:2,\\:tbxi"
>
> The machine does boot to yaboot by default. So from the boot prompt I
> could issue a full OF path to kernel.
>
> Snipped from penguinppc.org yaboot-howto
> ==================================
>
> 9.3 Manually Loading a Kernel Image
>
> Once you have the boot: prompt, you can enter a label defined in your
> yaboot.conf to boot that kernel image. Or instead of a label, you can
> enter a full OpenFirmware path. A typical kernel path might be
>          boot: hd:3,/vmlinux
>

>  To pass parameters to the kernel, add them on to the boot: prompt line
> after the kernel label or path. You'll need to specify root= as a
> minimum, but you can add any kernel parameters desired. Here's an  example;
>          boot: hd:3,/vmlinux root=/dev/hda3 ro
> ================================
> End of snip
>
> This is the point at which I am at, correct me if I am wrong please, I
> need a full path to the kernel to pass on at the boot prompt. This is
> where I tried ide0:2,/vmlinux

I'm assuming that you are doing this from yaboot. Try replacing 'ide0'
with 'ultra1'. 'ultra1' *should* be the alias to your secondary drive.
from there fix the paths in your yaboot.conf to reflect the paths you've
  learned. Don't forget to run ybin when you're through. I used to get
so excited when I got things going again, that I would forget to run
ybin and be back at square one. I would double check this for you, but ,
alas, I wanted a nice crisp YDL 4 install on my B&W so I made a nice
crisp blank partition to put it on. Halfway tempted to reinstall 3.0.1,
;-). If this doesn't work, do a 'devalias' from the OF. this should be
able to give you an idea what the secondary drive is (it may actually be
'ultra0').

> I thought that would be the secondary ide conroller, master disk
> "ide0", second partition ":2", and path to kernel "/vmlinux".  I don't
> know about kernel parameters, and really if ide0 is really going to
> work if the correct parameters are coupled with it.
>
> I hope this is clearer now, it's almost there. I found the yaboot info
> on penguinppc.org via the same link you sent me, good resources,  thanks.

g'luck

--
     It's what you make it man
     Takes time