Next hardware upgrade: Mac or not?

Aurel Wisse yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Jul 4 16:42:06 2004

Hi all!

I am running YDL on my trusty iMac Rev.B for over 3
years now. Were it not for the need to *add* new
hardware to the family (kids growing up: we are 4
users on my iMac now), I wouldn't bother.

I am torn between buying the iBook G4 with YDL, and an
equivalent machine (Sharp Actius MM20) from
EmperorLinux.

In the for/against I have so far:

EmperorLinux on Intel compatible hardware is installed
and completely preconfigured and *all* hardware
features (internal modem, WiFi, VGA port, sleep)
apparently work out of the box. (for EL)

Price (for iBook/YDL, the iBook *is* excellent value)

Memory (for iBook: extendable to over 1GB)

Processor (for iBook: 1 Ghz G4 vs 1Ghz Transmeta)

PCMCIA slot (for the MM20 from EL).

Implicitly pay for WinXP instead of implicitly paying
for OS X (against EL).

The touchy point for me is really that:

Internal modem
802.11g
VGA port and
Sleep

Do not only not work out of the box, but not at all on
the iBook G[34].

I am longing for arguments in favor of the iBook. If
anything, I am prepared to wait a few months for the
above features to work.

Many thanks,

Aurel