Next hardware upgrade: Mac or not?

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Jul 4 20:19:01 2004

Mr. Wisse:

Aurel Wisse wrote:
> I am running YDL on my trusty iMac Rev. B for over 3
> years now.

Nice going!

> I am torn between buying the iBook G4 with YDL, and
> an equivalent machine (Sharp Actius MM20) from
> EmperorLinux.

Here is what I think -- note that response this is opinion-heavy, and
might not fit your exact situation. Note also that I am a Macintosh fan
and a Yellow Dog Linux fan. However, one must be realistic in making a
purchase of this magnitude.

1. For a personal/workstation computer or laptop:

A. Don't buy a *new* Macintosh (iBook, iMac, PowerBook, or desktop
model) unless you want to use the Macintosh operating system. Mac OS X
is tuned to the Apple hardware, and vice versa. New Apple hardware is
*finally* fast enough to run Apple's resource-intensive operating
system. The price premium you pay for a Mac is for that integration. The
software that is available as native applications for Mac OS X is of the
highest quality, *plus* you have access to most Open Source applications
through the Fink system and Apple's X11 environment. The best of both
worlds.

B. If you want new hardware to run a Linux system, buy a less expensive
(but, still shop wisely) Intel-based computer (without an OS, if
possible). Linux has been optimized mostly for Intel processors, and the
vast majority of Linux software is only available for that platform.

C. If you are looking for *used* hardware, then an older and cheaper
Macintosh becomes a more reasonable issue. Your iMac, for instance,
would not be a comfortable Mac OS X box, but is probably nice and spry
running Yellow Dog Linux (however, a similar argument can be made for
older and cheaper Intel hardware).

D. Also, in looking at a *slightly* older Intel-based computer (say, a
two-year old Dell), you are increasing the chances that all your
hardware is supported.

E. On either Apple and Intel-based laptops, it is very rare that the
built-in software modem will work with a standard Linux distribution.
Similarly, some laptops and high-end desktops have proprietary video
cards that are not well supported by Linux. Finally, support for sleep
or hibernation is very spotty on both the Apple and the Intel laptops
(see the Doc Searles story, below).

2. For a server/desktop, the equation is different:

A. Apple makes extremely reliable hardware with a fast processor and
access to some really top-notch storage systems (RAID arrays, and the
like). Apple's XServes are well-reviewed "1U" systems that have very
high uptimes, either with Mac OS X or Yellow Dog Linux. The Terra Soft
folks are promising a 64-bit version of YDL "Real Soon Now," and it will
be a marvelous combination with Apple's G5-class machines.

B. Older Apple computers (including some really old models like the
7x00, 8x00, and 9x00 machines) can make ultra-reliable servers with
plenty of expansion opportunities including used (eBay) high-capacity
storage devices.

> EmperorLinux on Intel compatible hardware is installed
> and completely preconfigured and *all* hardware
> features (internal modem, WiFi, VGA port, sleep)
> apparently work out of the box. (for EL)

Doc Searles, the well-respected Editor of Linux Journal, wrote an
insightful article comparing his PowerBook (running OS X) to an
EmperorLinux-supplied IBM ThinkPad running Linux. The PowerBook came out
on top:

<http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=7464>

If you *must* buy a new laptop with Linux pre-installed, the
EmperorLinux model sounds like a great deal from a company that deserves
your support. As much as it pains me to say it, the new iBook is
probably not a great Linux laptop. However, it is an insanely great Mac
OS X laptop!

Let us know what you decide. Good luck!

Best wishes,
Clint