Anyone Using GNU/After/Openstep?

Greg Hamilton yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Jul 4 17:43:01 2004

AfterStep (http://www.afterstep.org) is an X windows window manager
which aims to recreate the look and feel of NeXTStep. I haven't looked
at it in a long while but according to the web site it's still under
active development.

GNUStep (http://gnustep.org) is much more interesting. They've created
a free implementation of OPENSTEP so it not only looks like the old
is based on so if you've delved into application development using
Objective C, Cocoa and the Apple developer tools in OS X you'll find
GNUStep very familiar.

There are YDL RPMs available from the gnustep site though I'm not sure
they're up-to-date. You may be better off building from source.

Since GNUStep isn't a window manager you'll need to install one to make
any use of it. I believe Window Maker is the official GNUStep window
manager. It certainly looks the part. In fact if all you're after is
something that looks like NeXTStep you'll probably be happy with Window
Maker without the fuss of installing all the GNUStep stuff.