Powerlogix 375 Mhz G3 on a 7600/132

Jonathan Ennis-King yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Jul 5 22:32:01 2004

I'm trying to get YDL to work on a PowerMac 7600/132 with a Powerlogix
G3 375 Mhz/1Mb Cache CPU upgrade card. YDL works properly with the
original processor card, but with the upgrade card it gives intermittent
but serious memory-related errors from malloc, the occasional kernel
Oops, and other random freezes.  I've removed the L2 Cache from the
motherboard (otherwise it won't boot). I'm aware that one has to be
careful with RAM configuration. I have 2 x 128 Mb DIMMs, 2x32 Mb DIMMs,
2x 16 Mb DIMMs (plus other 8 Mb DIMMs), but I can't find any
configuration of memory that works -- interleaved, not interleaved,
using just the newer DIMMs etc. Even a single 128 Mb DIMM does not work,
although the specs are claimed to meet Apple requirements. In contrast,
running Mac OS 8.6 the machine is  stable for a number of RAM
configurations.

Does anyone have experience with a similar setup? Any suggestions for
what to try next?

Can anyone suggest a G3 upgrade card for which YDL definitely does work
for them on a machine of this kind?

It may be unrelated, but PPC Checker reports the CPU as a PowerPC 750L
Lonestar rev 2.2 Copper G3, PVR=0x00088202. A small amount of google
searching reveals that this is the exact processor type used in some
Lombard Powerbooks which were widely reported to experience random
freezes in OS X when third party RAM modules were used.

--
    Jonathan Ennis-King