Why Can't BenH ow-scsi Kenel mount root?

Arch and Cath yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jul 8 06:25:01 2004

YDL 3.0.1 couldn't find my G3 Beige (G4 upgrade) scsi hard drives, so I
bought a 10GB ATA drive and loaded 3.0.1 OK.   I tried to load the ow-scsi
kernel because, although I had the system working on the ATA disk, I needed
to use my scsi ZIP drive.

Not being able to make the Ben kernel work, I started over from scratch --
loaded YDL3.0.1 from the cd's, and yummed all the updates.     Downloaded
the Ben kernel on the Mac side, decompressed it and installed vmlinux in
Linux Kernels for BootX.    Downloaded the kernel on the Linux side and
followed the installation instructions from the ppckernel site to the letter
.

I set BootX to use vmlinux and in the BootX argument I added
"root=/dev/hdc6".  I still have the exact same problem -- bootup fails with
a "can't mount root fs on 16:6".  Why not?   Is it possible that the ow-scsi
kernel doesn't recognize ATA drives?

Has anyone been able to install the BenH ow-scsi kernel on an ATA drive?
Any one in the Old World gotten a ZIP drive to work?

Any ideas?

Arch

NOTE - If this sounds familiar to you, it is because I previously put it out
on the newbie list.  It didn't get any interest, so I thought I would try it
here.