New Kernels - nothing but black screen, "W" and frozen computer

Norberto Quintanar yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jul 8 09:53:03 2004

--- David Wadson <> wrote:
> OldWorld Power Mac 4400 currently running YDL 3.0 (2.4.20-8d) -
> installed very nicely from a set of CDs using the graphical
> installer.
>
> In order to take advantage of some advanced routing for redundant
> internet connections (www.lartc.org), I need to recompile the
> kernel
> with IP Adanced Routing enabled. Every attempt at doing so using a
>
> variety of different Kernel (OldWorld SCSI, YDL, Benh, etc.) has
> been a
> failure so far. While the whole configuration and compiling process
>
> seems to be working fine, I am unable to get the machine to boot
> the
> kernel in any fashion.
>
> After copying the vmlinux and System.map files to /boot, I tar the
>
> vmlinux file and FTP it onto a Mac server. Had I known about this
> compiling mumbo-jumbo earlier, I wouldn't have formatted the
> BootX/MacOS partition as HFS+. D'oh! Anyways, I boot into the
> MacOS,
> untar the vmlinux file with Stuffit Expander and drop it into the
> Linux
> Kernels folder. In BootX, I specify that new Kernel...and....
>
> The screen goes totally black, a single letter "W" is displayed in
> the
> upper right of the machine and the machine totally and completely
> freezes. Nothing happening at all on the hard drive and the machine
>
> won't soft reset using the 3-finger salute. Instead I have to kill
> the
> power to the box.
>
> After wasting a couple days trying to compile a variety of 2.4.x
> kernels, I tried to use the precompiled  2.4.25-ben1
> (http://www.ppckernel.org/download/ydl-2.4/linux-ydl-2.4-2.4.25-
> ben1.tar.gz) and it does exactly the same thing - black screen, "W"
> and
> freeze.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Anything I've been reading
> about
> troubleshooting compiles involve deciphering the boot messages that
> pop
> up but I don't get anything (other than a "W" - that's a little
> vague!)
>
> Dave Wadson
> IT Manager
> The Chronicle-Journal

David, what kernel arguments if any are you passing when rebooting
for the first time?  Sounds like you video settings get hosed when
you compile.  check no video driver and boot into run level 3 typing:
init=runlevel : 3

HTH

Norberto