New Kernels - nothing but black screen, "W" and frozen computer

Bill Fink yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jul 8 20:09:01 2004

Hi David,

On Thu Jul 8 2004, David Wadson wrote:

> That was the first thing I tried, using the PPC config file in the
> "/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8d/configs" directory. This is just bizarre to
> me because I don't get any sort of kernel messages. I don't think the
> computer even gets far enough to be able to write anythin to dmesg.
>
> Today i'm going to try with an install on a Power Mac 7200 instead of
> that 4400. Maybe that'll help...

Some ramblings.

Check with md5sum on the MacOS and Linux sides to make sure the vmlinux
file got transferred OK.

In the "configs" directory, there's also a kernel-2.4.20-ppc-BOOT.config.
I'm not sure exactly what its purpose is, but it's a very basic config
that doesn't use any modules.  You might want to build a kernel using
exactly that config just to see if that will boot.  Assuming that that
works, you can then add other things (like module support).  You can
do a "diff" between that config and the kernel-2.4.20-ppc.config to see
all the differences.

You might also want to try doing a "make oldconfig" after copying
whichever template config to ".config".

						-Bill