New Kernels - nothing but black screen...SOLVED

David Wadson yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Jul 19 02:33:01 2004

My thanks to Bill Fink that hit the nail on the head here...the vmlinux
file for my new kernel compile was getting corrupted in the FTP
transfer. Turns out that FTP defaulted to ASCII transfers which was
screwing up the file, even if I tried compressing the file first. Once
I switched to binary transfer, it came across fine. Turns out
everything I was doing on the compiling end was fine.

So I learned...
1. how to use md5sum to verify proper transfer of the file;
2. how to switch to binary transfers in FTP
3. how much faster compiling on a G4 is compared to a Power Mac 4400
4. how to transfer the modules directory from the G4 to the 4400.

I was able to get a kernel compiled very quickly that includes the
advanced router capabiliies. Now I can get going on creating that load
balancing router...

Dave Wadson
IT Manager
The Chronicle-Journal