My iMac Just Died (Slightly off topic)

Michael and Marilyn Cherry yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Jul 9 14:41:01 2004

------=_NextPart_000_0014_01C465BA.039538D0

It was an original Bondi Blue iMac, with not enough RAM, only a CD =
(read-only drive), but it was one of the first generation iMacs. I ran =
YDL really well.

The last several days the monitor was acting up, going blank then slowly =
redrawing, and there was a weird 'ping' noise coming out of the unit. I =
suspect the fly-back transformer or some other piece of the monitor was =
failing. This morning it went zap, ping, and turned itself off, only to =
refuse to power up again.

Based on my assumption that the monitor has failed, I am further =
assuming that replacing the monitor or getting a new one is really =
expensive. Also, I have seen some discussions, postings, etc. on moding =
the iMac for a more traditional PC-case which, I guess is an option, =
although working around a monitor does somewhat scare me.

So, I think I need to buy a new iMac. I have been thinking about either =
an iBook or a PowerBook. Has anyone who bought a iBook regretted it? =
Should I just bite the bullet and get a PowerBook?

Opinions appreciated.

Thanks
Michael Cherry
------=_NextPart_000_0014_01C465BA.039538D0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>It was an original Bondi Blue iMac, =
with not enough=20
RAM, only a CD (read-only drive), but it was one of the first generation =
iMacs.=20
I ran YDL really well.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The&nbsp;last several days the monitor =
was acting=20
up, going blank then slowly redrawing, and there was a weird&nbsp;'ping' =
noise=20
coming out of the unit. I suspect the fly-back transformer or some other =
piece=20
of the monitor was failing.&nbsp;This morning it went zap, ping, and =
turned=20
itself off, only to refuse to power up again.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Based on my assumption that =
the&nbsp;monitor has=20
failed,&nbsp;I am further assuming that replacing =
the&nbsp;monitor&nbsp;or=20
getting a new one is&nbsp;really expensive. Also, I have seen some =
discussions,=20
postings, etc. on moding the iMac for a more traditional PC-case which, =
I guess=20
is an option, although working around a monitor does somewhat scare=20
me.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>So, I think I need to&nbsp;buy a new =
iMac. I have=20
been thinking about either an iBook or a PowerBook. Has anyone who =
bought a=20
iBook&nbsp;regretted it? Should I just bite the bullet and get a=20
PowerBook?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Opinions appreciated.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Michael =
Cherry</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0014_01C465BA.039538D0--