802.11 on powerbook

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Jul 11 16:55:01 2004

Mr. Bauer:

On Sun, 2004-07-11 at 15:11, Jim Bauer wrote:

>> Anyone find a currently available 802.11b (or g) pcmcia card that
>> works on YDL on a powerbook? I have tried 2 so far and both are
>> non-starters with the combination of linux and ppc.

To which Ed Stover replied:

> my apple airport card works wonderfully, all the USB ones I have
> work as well with minimum configuration.

Ed is right, of course. However, keep in mind that 802.11g devices
(which Apple calls Airport Extreme) are not supported by any form of
Linux including YDL. If your PowerBook is relatively new and uses
Airport Extreme, you will have to find a 802.11b PCMCIA card or the USB
adapter.

Slightly off topic, do 802.11b/g USB devices really work? I have never
seen one on the store shelves. Also, how about 802.11b for older Macs
(like my Power Mac 7500), either as a SCSI device or PCI card?

Best wishes,
Clint