802.11 on powerbook

Jim Bauer yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Jul 11 17:53:01 2004

On Sunday 11 July 2004 18:52, Clinton MacDonald wrote:

> On Sun, 2004-07-11 at 15:11, Jim Bauer wrote:
> >> Anyone find a currently available 802.11b (or g) pcmcia card that
> >> works on YDL on a powerbook? I have tried 2 so far and both are
> >> non-starters with the combination of linux and ppc.
>
> To which Ed Stover replied:
> > my apple airport card works wonderfully, all the USB ones I have
> > work as well with minimum configuration.
>
> Ed is right, of course. However, keep in mind that 802.11g devices
> (which Apple calls Airport Extreme) are not supported by any form of
> Linux including YDL.   If your PowerBook is relatively new and uses
> Airport Extreme, you will have to find a 802.11b PCMCIA card or the USB
> adapter.

All that I know.  That's why I am looking for a pcmcia card that will work.  I
tried both a Linksys and a D-Link.  After the fact, I discovered that they
both use the same Realtek controler that doesn't have any Linux driver
available unless you happen to be on an x86 platform.  I can only assume
Realtek is too embarrassed about their driver to release the source.

> Slightly off topic, do 802.11b/g USB devices really work? I have never
> seen one on the store shelves. Also, how about 802.11b for older Macs
> (like my Power Mac 7500), either as a SCSI device or PCI card?

I have seen one at a store the other day, but otherwise don't know anything
about them.