YDL 4.0

Derick Centeno yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jul 13 09:38:01 2004

Flamewar?? What flamewar??  Compared to other mailing lists what occurs
here is a lovefest!

Seriously to your concern.  From the one or two word description of the
environment in which the described computer is coming "on-line" you
would save yourself quite a headache if you waited for YDL 4.0.  As you
can read from the article posted on Terra Soft's website, Kai clearly
explains that the system to be "left behind" or "unsupported" starting
with YDL 4.0 will be the beige tower G3's.

You could continue to use YDL 3.0 of course, but it is always better to
start off with a fresh and complete installation which will update over
time rather than with an installation (such as YDL 3.0) which has seen
the end of it's update/upgrade cycle.

Regarding other distributions:  Unless one is an uber-system
administrator/programmer dreaming in code and hex it is easier to recall
that every distribution has it's problems.  In the end what really
matters is what are you doing, why and are you skilled enough to handle
the gritty details of server administration yourself.  And if you have
no love for iptables, rewriting dot files, shell scripts and so on --
another distribution is not going to improve your situation.

Remember that like it or not, for all the "lip-service" of user support
in the Linux world, this is a new idea which has yet to sink in
sufficiently; which is also why IBM and others have moved to provide
support for their own version of Linux.  And the really astute will
observe that even Sun is supporting their own version of Open Source
Solaris.

No one is providing support for the "other fellow's" distribution and
what works in one distribution may or may not work on another in quite
the same way.  As far as a ppc variant of Red Hat Linux, Terra Soft has
that locked on tight.  What works on Red Hat on a Intel system works on
YDL given if one goes through whatever one must regarding acquiring
libraries etc.  And lest you forget, Red Hat is the 800 lb gorilla in
the Linux environment.

You've heard the joke, right?  ...What does an 800 lb gorilla get?
Answer: Whatever it wants!  The implication being that the market
follows the gorilla; you can see this trend with Microsoft more clearly.
By the way it may interest you to know that the money behind the SCO
suit against Linux is Microsoft!  Talk about "undue influence";
Microsoft can't compete technologically with Linux nor come up with
sufficiently moving and inexpensive idea and so it moves against the one
thing people can use for free.

I hope that this is enough "background" information to help you towards
your decision.
Best wishes...