FreshRPMs and GIMP

Matthias Saou yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jul 20 05:13:01 2004

Christopher Brown wrote :

> First thing:
>
> Thank you Mathias for your work and efforts on FreshRPMs. Your site alone
>
> is making the transition from Mac OS X to YDL as a primary OS MUCH easier
>
> (Hello YDL!).

You're welcome :-)

> BUT:
>
> PLEASE return the GIMP to your RPM repository. Or give me a link to it. I
>
> regret the day I asked a question about it and you removed it. Since
> re-installing I no longer have it.

That's a bit of a problem... the final 2.0.x gimp packages on YDL 3.0 are
quite tricky, as if you replace the 1.2.x gimp, you get broken gimp-print
and others. Also, it requires quite a few updates to stuff like fontconfig
(IIRC) etc. which many people aren't too keen on having changed in their
system. The older 1.3.x beta versions I was packaging didn't require as
many libraries to be upgraded, so it was a little easier at the time.

I could check to see if it's still possible to have 2.0.x parallel
installable with 1.2.x, in which case that could be a solution if the
package is named "gimp2" for instance. Still, core libraries will need to
be upgraded, which might be a mess, and later on for systems being upgraded
to YDL 4 (when it's out), may have problems if the newer gimp doesn't
obsolete gimp2, or if some of those libraries rebuilt for 3.0 are newer
than the ones in 4...

So basically, I'd like to avoid that for now. If YDL 4 is around the
corner, it's not only easier but also safer to just wait for it instead.

BTW, I remember someone asked for a sodipodi package... seems like I erased
the original thread. The package is now available in freshrpms.net for YDL
3.0 ;-)

Matthias

Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang) - Linux kernel 2.6.6-1.435.2.3
Load : 0.07 0.30 0.62