DVD viewing on YDL 3.0

Henry A. Leinhos yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jul 22 06:51:01 2004

David C. Hacker, DVM writes:

> You should be able to view DVD's on a G3, provided you have a DVD drive in
> the computer, and the appropriate software installed.  There are several
> available for YDL.  Try doing yum search dvd for all  of the options.
> David C. Hacker, DVM
> On Jul 21, 2004, at 12:57 PM, Steve Ward wrote:
>
>> What are the hardware requirements for DVD viewing on YDL 3.0?
>> I can only find materials outlining software dependencies.
>> Will my old G3 do the trick or do I have to have a G4?
>> TIA
>> Steve

I'd have to say that you'd need *at lease* a 450 MHz G3 to do software MPEG2
decoding (depending on your output/display driver).  Most G3 macs that came
with DVD drives also had hardware MPEG2 decoder cards (non supported under
linux) installed with their video card to get realtime performance under
MacOS.  I've got a 300MHz B+W that can't handle full DVD playback (I
transcode the video to MPEG4/Divx at a lower bitrate/resolution to watch any
DVD movies I own -- a process that takes 24-36 hours per movie for two-pass
MPEG4 encoding at 300MHz!).  I also have a 450 MHz B+W g3 (at work) that can
*barely* keep up with DVD playback.  My dual 450 G4 (also at work) can do
dvd playback without any problem (no supprise).  I prefer Mplayer, but there
are plenty of options.

Henry