some general questions

Brian McKee yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jul 22 14:20:01 2004

On Thursday, July 22, 2004, at 03:12  PM, Christopher Brown wrote:

> 1. Is there an audio recording and editing software for PPC Linux?
> Before anyone points out the lame selection in the sound & video
> section of the start menu, please don't. I need something a LOT more
> professional.

Audacity is a good app.  I haven't tried it using YDL but it's avail
via yum
(you might have to have freshrpms in your yum.conf)
Note it often won't run at the same time as KDE (or gnome? i think...
see their website for details)
so you likely will have to start a 'failsafe' session and launch it
from the xterm there.

> 2. Deleting unwanted apps. Man there are a lot of crappy apps that I
> just didn't know better not to install when I installed YDL for the
> first time. 'yum remove ***' doesn't seem to work for individual apps
> so how do I get rid of some of those? Specifically those sound & video
> apps, the countless text editors, and myriad of games that only server
> to point out that drivers for my video card don't exist yet.
> (PowerBook 15" Aluminum)

try yum remove kdegames
and/or         kdemultimedia

KDE apps come 'bundled'

> 3. Unlike 'upgrading' YDL 2 - 3, is YDL 4 capable of being upgraded
> from YDL 3 - 4? If I'm just going to re-install the entire system
> question #2 isn't that important.
>
> Christopher

The note I saw seemed to indicate that was the goal (dunno if that's
going to be the reality though)

HTH
Brian