"cannot remove /var/run/console.lock"

Andrew yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Jul 23 10:08:02 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 08:01, Ray Lacgalvs wrote:
> Hello all,
> after using ydl 2.3 happily for 6 months without problems, it crashed last
> night whilst on the net.
> After rebooting, I got back to the login but can get no further even as
> root.
> Login is correct but, just keep going back to the login boxes.
> A strange message: "cannot remove /var/run/console.lock input:output error"
> has mysteriously appeared at startup & must be suspect.
> Am able to get to the root shell (linux 1) but am not able to open kate or
> kword with message: "cannot connect to X server".
> Any advice much appreciated.

Try to delete the file:
	as root:] rm /var/run/console.lock

As for kate and kword they need X server (the graphical interface
engine) running. Linux also have some text-based text editors like pico
or vim. You should be able to use at least one of them from a console
only environment.

If you want to see and/or edit /var/run/console.lock:
	]$ pico /var/run/console/lock
...or...
	]$ pico /var/run/console.lock

NOTE: If you want to edit console.lock (I wonder why you would..) make
sure you are logged-in as root! ;)

Andrew