"cannot remove /var/run/console.lock"

Andrew yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 08:01:13 -0400

On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 06:51, raiyza wrote:
> on 24/7/04 2:03 AM, Andrew at virgule88@videotron.ca wrote:
>
> > Andrew
>

> Many thanks Andrew for the prompt reply,
> your instructions removed the error message but the problem persists - not
> able to get past the login dialog box with the correct passwords.
> I incorrectly assumed the error message was the cause but no such luck.
> After logging in I am promptly returned to an empty login box.
> Googling hasn`t helped - any other ideas?

I would boot from the CD in order to re-install the most revelent
stuffs. In this particular case, it could be X11 or maybe even
KDE/GNOME. (use 'Do Not Format, Use Existing Free Space (preserve data)'
option when partitioning disks...) I googled around a little myself.
This could be a lack of disk space: when close to 0% free space, only
root can write to disks.